While it is much easier for European Union citizens to move to Spain, it is also possible for other nationals. When I was looking for apartments for sale in Javea, I discovered Spain has many provinces and each one is different. Spain offers serenity, peaceful locations and modern, cosmopolitan cities, as well as areas filled with old and traditional ways.


Non-EU citizens need a passport, original and full birth certificate, police certification of a clear criminal record, divorce certificate, marriage certificate, medical certificate of clear health and, if separated with children, you will need a Spanish Translated copy of child custody certificate or a certified permission letter from your child’s other parent.


There are many properties all over Spain for sale (se vende) or for rent (se aquillar) at low prices. Spain is good value for money, if you are considering buying.

Town Hall

You must obtain a padron from the local town hall (Policia e Ayuntamiento) within six weeks of arrival in Spain. This documents that you are living where you say you are and the padron is used for identity for most things in Spain, like schools, medical assistance, telephones and purchases.


All residents of Spain must have an NIE number which is the Spanish version of a social security number, which you can apply for at the town hall or the nearest main police station. It can take up to two weeks for the NIE numbers to be issued.


Once you have been a Spanish resident for six months, you must exchange your driver’s license for a Spanish license. If you have a valid EU license or a valid license from an EU country, you can exchange your license for a small fee without a driving test.


If you can begin to learn Spanish before you move to Spain, it will benefit you greatly. In Spain there are English-speaking areas, but they are mainly coastal and tourist areas. Some town halls (ayuntimientos) offer free Spanish lessons.